Wednesday, April 25, 2007

p

Consolation

 

 

            All are not taken; there are left behind

            Living Beloveds, tender looks to bring

            And make the daylight still a happy thing,

            And tender voices, to make soft the wind:

            But if it were not so-if I could find

            No love in all this world for comforting,

            Nor any path but hollowly did ring

            Where ‘dust to dust’ the love from life disjoin’d;

            And if, before those sepulchres unmoving

            I stood alone (as some forsaken lamb

           Goes bleating up the moors in weary dearth)

           Crying “Where are ye, O my loved and loving?”

           I know a voice would sound, “Daughter, I AM.

           Can I suffice for Heaven and not for earth?”

 

                        Elizabeth Barrett Browning   

No comments: