Sunday, June 21, 2009

p

Talking Old Soldiers

"Why hello, say, can I buy you another glass of beer?"

"Well thanks a lot, that's kind of you, it's nice to know you care.

These days there's so much going on,

No one seems to want to know.

I may be just an old soldier to some

But I know how it feels to grow old.

Yeah, that's right, you can see me here most every night.

You'll always see me staring at the walls and at the lights.

Funny, I remember, oh it's years ago, I'd say,

I'd stand at that bar with my friends who've passed away

And drink three times the beer that I can drink today.

Yes I know how it feels to grow old.

I know what they're saying, son,

There goes old mad Joe again.

Well, I may be mad at that. I've seen enough

To make a man go out his brains.

Well, do they know what it's like

To have a graveyard as a friend?

`Cause that's where they are boy, all of them.

Don't seem likely I'll get friends like that again."

"Well, it's time I moved off,

But it's been great just listening to you,

And I might even see you next time I'm passing through.

You're right, there's so much going on

No one seems to want to know.

So keep well, keep well old friend

And have another drink on me.

Just ignore all the others. You got your memories.

You got your memories."

Bernie Taupin

No comments: