Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Ps and Qs Redux

Dear Folks,
I know that it has been more than a year since i last posted here, but I think that i am ready to renew my commitment. I intend to begin sending regular poems and quotes as before - hopefully one each on a weekly basis.
As always, your suggestions and feedback are welcome. I am always happy to hear from you.

The New Notebook

Full of superstition

I begin a new notebook,

white leaves –- sea foam.

I close my eyes and wait

for the first day of the world,

for Aphrodite with wet lips,

red curls of flame,

an open shell,

shy and sure,

to rise from the salt foam,

out of the primordial algae.

I wait under closed eyelids.

Once can hear the grey rustle of the sea gulls,

under the low sky

and the monotonous thunder of waves

only of waves

which come and go.

--Maria Banus

(Translated from Romanian by

Laura Schiff and Dana Beldiman)

Stephen Wilder

No comments: