Monday, February 05, 2007

Sister Fire, Brother Smoke
 
Have I become an accomplished liar,
a man who believes in his inventions?
When I see my sister in every fire,
 
is it me who sets her in those pyres
and burns her repeatedly?  Should I mention
I may have become an accomplished liar,
 
a man who was absent when his sister died,
but still feeds those flames in the present tense?
When I see my sister in every fire,
 
am I seeing the shadow that survived her
conflagration?  Because of my obsession
have I become an accomplished liar,
 
who strikes a match, then creates a choir
of burning matches, with the intention
of seeing my sister in every fire?
 
Is she the whisper of ash floating high
above me?  I offer these charred questions.
Have I become an accomplished liar
if I see my sister in every fire?
 
     Sherman Alexi

No comments: