Monday, February 18, 2008

p

Don Chu Go
 
Don chu go talkin bout the sunrise
purty pinky sunrise
as if they ain't all kinda people
suffrin evry corner a this world.
 
Remember them you hear?
I don wan no purty dove
sittin on a cedar poem
till all yer ancestors an mine
are walkin free.  We got work to do.
Hear me?
No sirree girl don chu go
hangin up this phone!
 
I know yer type.
You think it's okay
ta cuddle yer sorrow
hide behinda bush
lookit little stones
lemme find a shiny one!
Cracks ina ground
like they got some kinda wisdom
well i do think they know morin
most of us but that
aint no way to spend a day.
Use yer voice!
Cry out fer pain, injustice,
come on lazy girl
don't be satisfied with dillydallydaisy poems
you don pay nuf attention to rough stuff.
People are dyin!  I want you to shout!
Thats what the owl an I talked about this morning
in Brackenridge Park.
 
Now I'm gonna get off
let you go about yer business
but goddam it better be real business
or you gonna hear it
from yer ol buddy.
 
                                        (in memory, Maury Maverick Jr.)
 
Naomi Shihab Nye

No comments: